Monday, April 19, 2010

4-19-10







On Friday 4-16-10 I was able to get a little fishing in at one of my favorite spots on Little River in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park I have not experimented much with nymph fishing. I started fishing around noon on Friday and was using a dry fly but there were no rising fish. I knew I had to try something different so I used what's called a dry dropper rig this is where you tie a sinking nymph off the hook of a dry fly and it kinda acts a strike indicator.

Wow right off the bat I landed a nice rainbow around 11" and then another decent fish from the same run I moved up stream a bit and bam! bam! two more decent fish all within an hour of fishing I took a long lunch break around 3:00PM and started back fishing dry fly's with not much luck on Monday I decided to go back and try a new hole that I found. This was a great decision on my part cause I landed my first Smokey Mountain bruiser brown trout a 13 1/2 inch fish what a blast! getting him landed.

My main concern was when I started fly fishing was will I ever get the hang of this? My question has been answered I am starting to pay attention to little details that make the difference in catching nice fish. I have been graced with tips from guys like David Knapp and Ray Ball both really good fly fisherman. Fly fishing is quickly becoming a passion of mine there is just nothing like the peace you get while on the river in the Smokey Mountain National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment